Hallam defeat a Mistry..


Posted 05th April 2015 - Posted in Match Reports

A LUCKLESS HALLAM somehow left Lincolnshire with nothing after a much-improved display in which they dominated throughout. Superb goals from Michael Blythen and Ryan Williams were scant reward for the Countrymen's endeavour and they were left cursing their luck as two quickfire second-half goals saw Louth secure all three points. Ryan Hindley's men started well but fell behind in the sixth minute. A slip on the right let in left winger Jack Whitewick who calmly slotted beyond Jack Dennison. However, the visitors were unflustered by the setback and were soon dictating the play. James Reed and Tom Fairweather were dominating the midfield battles and providing good service for Williams who looked lively up front. The pressure on the home goal mounted but Hallam couldn't put the finishing touch to a series of promising moves and set pieces. Williams broke free of Louth's back line midway through the half and lifted his shot over Louth keeper Scott Drury but over the bar. Hallam also looked strong at the back, with Simon Mirfin and Callum Westney keeping league top scorer Jamie Coulson quiet and debutant Josh Statham impressing at left-back. Both sides were left perplexed by some decisions from the officials as Williams and Elliott Simpson found themselves in the referee's notebook. Unlucky to find themselves behind at the break, Hallam stepped up a gear from the start of the second half. Fairweather had already shot over after breaking through before James Reed forced a corner from which Louth cleared a goal-bound effort off the line. Williams then saw his shot deflected just wide after a good run before history repeated itself, Danny Flynn's header cleared off the line after good work from Blythen. The home side barely had the chance to catch their breath before Hallam's pressure finally paid off. Flynn split the Louth defence with an excellent pass, releasing Blythen who rounded Drury and rolled the ball into the net. The chances continued to come for the visitors, but Mirfin's powerful header from a corner was saved by Drury and, out of nothing, Louth delivered a double hammer blow. First, substitute Arron Scutt ran from midfield to finish a counter-attack. A minute later, Statham had his pocket picked by Luke Rayner-Mistry, who slotted unerringly beyond Dennison. Hallam were stunned but they never let up and Reed and Blythen both shot wide. Six minutes from time, the comeback was back on as Williams smashed the ball into the bottom corner from 25 yards for a memorable first goal for the club. However, it wasn't enough for the visitors and it was telling that, on the final whistle, the Louth bench shook their heads at somehow claiming all three points. Hindley and his team can take great heart from a strong performance that merited so much more than a narrow defeat. Man of the match: James Reed. A different class. An almost flawless midfield performance. Fought for every ball and showed great vision throughout.

Article Comments

No comments


Club Shop

Advertise with us

We are proudly sponsored by leading local firms in our community. To join us, please visit our rate card for site advertising opportunities.

See more