Turner Returns With Interest as Hallam Progress


Posted 02nd November 2015 - Posted in Match Reports

Jordan Turner returned from injury to send Hallam through to the second round of the FA Vase in a lively encounter in North Yorkshire.

The striker had struggled with injury since scoring twice in the 3-0 win against Athersley in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup. But he returned here with a bang, his excellent lob adding to Michael Blythen's 20th goal of the season to cap a dominant first half for The Countrymen. A solid defensive display in the second half saw Hallam through despite Chris Jackson's superb finish.
The game started like a firecracker, both sides creating chances in the opening two minutes. The pace didn't let up, with Turner and Blythen causing problems for the home defence and Jamie Forrester posing a constant threat at the other end.
Danny Flynn and Micah Bishop were also giving plenty to think about, working hard on the flanks and supporting the front two. Turner was playing on the shoulder and created an excellent chance in the third minute: beating two players on the right, he whipped in a cross which evaded Blythen's outstretched boot by inches. The ball fell to Bishop who shot over. 
Chris Jackson created and wasted a chance at the other end before both sides had penalty appeals turned down. Then Bishop, now on the right wing, was released inside right but saw his shot deflected wide.
Turner had cut a frustrated figure as a succession of marginal offside decisions went against him. He almost provided the opening goal as he cut the ball back for Flynn, whose shot was cleared with the goalkeeper beaten.
The visitors didn't have to wait long for the opening goal. Flynn rode a couple of challenges on the left and set up Blythen, who cut inside and fired in off the post from just inside the area.
Aside from a brilliant Jamie Forrester free-kick which skimmed the roof of the net, Ryan Hindley's men had Selby on the back foot for the remainder of the half. Bishop had another shot deflected just wide before Turner doubled their lead. Latching on to Elliott Simpson's inch-perfect ball over the top, he beat the defender for pace and lofted the ball over the advancing Gibson and into the corner. Tom Nolan almost added a spectacular third, advancing from defence to launch a scorching 35-yarder which flew just wide of the post.
The second half was a much calmer affair as Hallam were largely content to defend. Turner had further chances to extend the lead, including a free-kick given after Gibson picked up a back-pass. But Selby held firm and halved the deficit on the hour. A deep cross fell perfectly for Jackson, who volleyed a fierce scissor-kick into the corner.
The hosts pressed for an equaliser but found their chances limited by a resolute, well-organised defence. David Darwent in the visitors' goal commanded his area and showed safe hands on a number of balls into the box, as he had in the first half.
The visitors were working extremely hard from front to back and remained solid in defence. They had occasional chances to make the game safe, with Turner and his replacement Steve Brammer coming close. In truth, they ran out quite comfortable winners, despite a generous amount of injury time. Darwent didn't escape unscathed for his efforts: deep in injury time, he received a kick after claiming the ball on the ground. Once the referee had resolved matters, both players somehow finished with a booking.
No matter. Darwent and his team mates had earned the victory their hard work deserved, and with it a place in the hat for the second round.
Man of the Match: David Darwent. Reliable throughout. Caught absolutely everything and commanded his area and defence masterfully.

Article Comments

No comments


Club Shop

Advertise with us

We are proudly sponsored by leading local firms in our community. To join us, please visit our rate card for site advertising opportunities.

See more