Ambers Go Green ......


Posted 27th January 2017 - Posted in Match Reports

 Simon Harrison lined up for his 100th appearance for The Ambers against First Division Hallam in the NCEL 4th Round tie, as Danny Buttle also celebrated as he became only the second Amber to clock up 100 starts.

The home side started well with Harrison heading over from a Richard Tootle cross as early as the first minute before Simpson whizzed a dangerous ball across the six yard box for the visitors, just out of the reach of his team mates. Hallam then started to take charge with wide men Brammer and Ord looking dangerous and home keeper Archie Sneath was by far the busier of the two custodians, saving twice from West who will have been disappointed not to take advantage of the chances that came his way.The Ambers finally found some rhythm midway through the half when Andy Ofosu released Buttle who set up Reece Hands but his header drifted wide. The positivity was short lived however and it was the visitors who were on top as a disappointing half ended.

Joe Thornton replaced the injured Buttle at the interval and it was The Ambers who created the second period’s first chance as Jon Froggatt’s effort bobbled wide of Darwent’s goal. Ord then broke clear but Micky Harcourt recovered to do just enough to put the winger off balance and he fired well wide. Ex Amber Scott Bates then had a decent back post chance but his header was smothered by Sneath at the foot of his post.Once again it was The Ambers who looked to be getting on top and the best chance of the game fell to Harrison who broke through but was denied by Darwent who came charging off his line to claim the ball. Alex Rippon was then introduced and he immediately added some urgency up top, and with just 12 minutes remaining, he whipped over an excellent cross which Froggatt gleefully headed home from close range.

As expected, Hallam threw everything they had at Handsworth, and Sneath and Tootle performed heroics to keep them at bay, but as the clock ticked on to 90 minutes, a defensive error let in Ord who rolled home the equaliser. This was all the more galling as the referee had incorrectly given Hallam a goal kick in the lead up to the goal when clearly a corner kick should have been awarded.

The game moved into extra time with the visitors in the ascendancy following their late strike, and The Ambers were hanging on at times. The nearest to a goal in a disappointing first period was a cross from Greaves which bounced off the top of the bar, whilst the second period was a story of two free kicks. The first one, for The Ambers, saw Harcourts effort come back off the post with the keeper beaten, whilst the second, for Hallam was curled in beautifully by another former Amber Connor Chappell to seal a deserved victory.

REPORT by Ian Robinson





Article Comments

No comments


Club Shop

Advertise with us

We are proudly sponsored by leading local firms in our community. To join us, please visit our rate card for site advertising opportunities.

See more