Yorkshire Amateur take the spoils at Sandygate


Posted 16th August 2017 - Posted in Match Reports

 Hallam FC 0 - 1 Yorkshire Amateur


Yorkshire Amateur came to Sandygate with a new team of high profile players following a number of new signings over the closed season.

The opening 10 minutes had a number of mid pitch skirmishes as the flow of the game settled. The first Hallam opportunity came after 12 minutes when Mark West blasted an effort through the Ams defence but unfortunately it was straight at the keeper.

The Hallam defence were dealing positively with the goal threat of Ashley Flynn who was finding it difficult to beat the Hallam off side trap, time after time as the long ball was played towards the Hallam goal the linesman indicated Flynn as offside.   

The first incident of the game was the dismissal of Griffiths who, on his Hallam debut, was given a straight red by the referee for an infringement with one of the Ams players, this seamed harsh at the time and on reflection still appears harsh.

With Hallam down to 10 men the Ams pushed forward and in the 25 minute gained a free kick on the edge of the Hallam box. This was confidently converted by Fernando Moke with a suburb effort over the wall leaving Dave Darwent in goal stranded.

The game was fairly even as half time approached with no real chances created by either side.

HT 0-1

The second half saw the introduction of Chris Wood for Mitch Dunne.

An even game followed with the Hallam defence thwarting the advances of the Ams who were consistently falling for the Hallam off-size trap. The effect of having a man down was telling for Hallam as they struggles to break through the Ams defence. This is where the shortfall was displaying its self, the Ams very solid defence was proving difficult to penetrate.

James Reed came off to be replaced by Charlie Myers half way through the second half and this gave Hallam a new set attacking options.

Hallam’s closes attempt came when a looping header from Chris Woods was touched over the bar from the back peddling Ams keeper, the resulting corner producing no results.

In the final throws of the game Ashley Cooper replaced Billy Wright and a second yellow for Tom Cropper for a late challenge resulted in a second sending off and Hallam down to 9 players.

FT 0-1
Att: 122

Next Game – The FA Cup journey continues


Sunday 20th August 3pm at Sandygate against Atherton Collieries


Article Comments

No comments


Club Shop

Advertise with us

We are proudly sponsored by leading local firms in our community. To join us, please visit our rate card for site advertising opportunities.

See more