Harworth Colliery 0 Hallam 0


Posted 02nd December 2018 - Posted in Match Reports

Hallam remained unbeaten in the NCEL continued, although they well may feel it was two points dropped, not one gained after the 0-0 draw with Harworth Colliery, played out at The Jones & Co Recreation Ground in front of a crowd of 105.


The Countrymen came out of the blocks the quickest and had the early chances, but spurned those that came their way. After Hallam had seen most of the ball for the first ten minutes, the first major chance fell to the usually reliable Kieran Watson, but to the shock of the player and the away contingent behind the goal, his volley from three yards out skewed passed the post.


Hallam kept the pressure on for the majority of the first half, with the corner count rising, but to no avail, time and time again, the Harworth defence were equal to their efforts and cleared their lines with relative ease. The only other clear cut chance of the half for either team fell to Ben Thornton, who latched on to a weighted through ball before his thunderous shot cannoned back off the upright, with no Hallam player being able to get to the ball for the rebound. This was the last notable chance for either side in a first half lacking chances, and the teams went in at half time with scoreboard unchanged at 0-0.


The start of the second half started where Hallam finished in the first, having control of the game and the ball, but unable to unlock the Harworth test and really test the keeper. Kieran Watson once again had the first opportunity seeing his header parried away for a corner at the back post after a deep cross from Tootle.


Hallam’s corner count was now well into double figures but was to no avail as the home side back four and keeper stood firm. More chances fell to the feet and head of Watson, but it simply wasn’t going to be his or The Countrymen’s afternoon. Harworth began to grow with confidence with every spurned chance for the visitors, and began to get their foot on the ball and create chances.


This culminated in the 85th minute, when debutant for Hallam Jamie Ingham rushed off his line in an attempt to thwart the on rushing Harworth striker. Unfortunately for the keeper, the striker got a toe to the ball, before being brought down in the box with the referee pointing to the spot. Thankfully for both player and Hallam, Ingham regained his composure and saved the resulting penalty. The last minutes of the ninety plus extra time was a frantic, end to end affair but once again, neither team could take their chances, and the game finished 0-0.

Attendance – 105

Hallam FC Line Up

1 – J. Ingham
2 – R. Tootle
3 – N. Smith
4 – P. Carrig
5 – T. Bradley
6 – A. Varley
7 – T. Roebuck
8 – M. Husbands
9 – S. Smith
10 – K. Watson

11 – B. Thornton

12 – J. McCarthy
14 – T. Wilson
15 – M. Bishop
16 – C. Littlejohn

17 – D. Booth 

Article Comments

No comments


Club Shop

Advertise with us

We are proudly sponsored by leading local firms in our community. To join us, please visit our rate card for site advertising opportunities.

See more